Call for Deaf Women Artists
This is a call for deaf women artists only. We are looking for deaf, hard-of-hearing and deafblind women artists to submit their canvas/artwork for a “Deaf Art Gallery” to be displayed at the Deaf Women United National Conference 2023 in Chicago, IL.
This is an exciting exhibition to recognize deaf woman artists for a dynamic deaf art that captures the art to bring communities together to celebrate the uniqueness of Deaf Culture and its Arts.
To be considered for the Gallery, one must submit work digitally via the application form. Once your application is received and reviewed, the Art Gallery Co-Chairs will respond.
Entry Deadline: April 1, 2023
- Deadline for Submission and Agreement Form (See Agreement): April 1, 2023
- Notification: May 1, 2023
- Deadline for receipt of shipped work(s) to the DWU Art Gallery Chairpersons Jill Stark & Angela Botz: July 7, 2023*
- Submission for hand-delivered work(s): July 18-25, 2023 by appointment only
- *Shipment after July 7, 2023, will not be accepted otherwise noted
- Show Opens: Thursday, July 27, 2023 all day. Bid Auction in the evening on date TBD.
- Time: 10AM-3PM
- Venue: Embassy Suites, 511 N. Columbus Dr., Chicago, IL 60611. Deaf Women United Art Gallery in the Ohio River Room.
- For more information, contact Art Gallery Chairpersons Angela Botz/Jill Stark at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Related Documents:
Download printable Submission Form & Agreement Form at http://dwu.deafwomenchicago.com
Media and Size:
- All media and any subject matter will be considered
- Visual art, installation art i.e.: painting, ceramics, drawing, printmaking, design, photography, smaller scale mixed-media piece
- Videos are not eligible
- Work using materials that are hazardous to the health and safety of the public will be disqualified
- must not exceed 24 feet in any direction and weight must be limited to 35 pounds
- Wall hung assemblage and relief accepted
- Artists responsible for their own shipment, and insurance/liability costs. Sign Agreement Form along when sending art submission and returning art.
Complete Entry Requires:
1) Deaf Women Artists
2) Complete online submission form
3) Submit photos up to four works of art with title/year/medium/size, high image resolution (300 dpi)
4) Submit photograph of the artist (300 dpi)
5) Written Artist Statement (250 words)
6) Tell us about yourself
7) Work must be not framed or installation-ready; no sculpture accepted
8) Artist is to agree to pay their shipping & insurance expenses for their artwork to Deaf Women United Art Gallery. Chairpersons and Deaf Women Art Gallery will cover the cost of returning your work to the artist only.